Tuesday 8 May 2018

Bright & Bold Congrats card using the Watercolour Block Technique and Stampin Up Products

Good Morning Everyone,

It's back to work after an awesome 3 day weekend, which is disappointing but we all have to adult sometimes.

I decided that I wanted to try out the watercolour block stamping technique that I watched Jennifer McGuire do on YouTube.

Here's my card I created :-



Firstly I layered up my card base made from Pacific Point with Tempting Turquoise and melon mambo. I cut each layer 3/8" inch to give a slightly larger edge than normal.

I took some scraps of pacific point and cover the back with the adhesive sheets. I love using these for intricate die cuts - it makes them so much easier to adhere to a project as the glue is transferred to the back of all the card... other adhesives can seep out of the edges if you are not careful and are visible on the finished card. 

Run the decorative die strip from Flourish framelits the through the big shot, cut down, remove the backing and place onto the melon mambo layer. Whilst you have the big shot out, do the same process with gold foil and the largest flower flourish, the smaller flower flourish can be cut without the adhesive.

Jennifer uses watercolour paper, but I had run out so I used thick whisper white. A large scrap will work as I trimmed it down after.

Taking a D block (but any size block will work) in your block directly from the ink pad - I used Melon Mambo and Tempting Turquoise - don't be shy to put quite a bit of ink onto the block.

Using a Stampin Spritzer filled with water, spray 3 or 4 times until the surface is covered with a film of water. Pick up the block and place it ink side down onto you cardstock - be careful not to move the block too much, otherwise the ink will mix together and the colours will not look as varied.

To get a good clean transfer of colour, I put something heavy (a punch in my case) onto the top of the block and left for 5 minutes. When removing the block, try to bring it straight up don't wiggle it if you can help it. 

Before assembling the card, make sure that all the ink has dried, you can leave it to air dry or run your heat tool over it - if you find you have larger pools of water you can blot these up with a paper towel.

Trim down the card to leave a thin border of white. Choose a sentiment, I took the congratulations from the Petal Palette stamp set and ink up in Memento Tuxedo Black ink and put it down at the bottom. Peel off the backing from the large gold flower and centralise on the panel. Using a mini dimensional adhere the smaller flower on top. A large pearl embellishments in the centre of that covers the showing dimensional and just finishes of the card beautifully.

Add dimensionals to the back of the panel and place it in the centre of your card front. Job done!!

Here is a list of all the items I used in todays project. Click on the links to head over to my online store.
Don't forget to check out Jennifer McGuire's YouTube video, ( her video is titled Watercolor Block Stamping) where she will show you step by step how to do this technique and give you inspiration for some beautiful cards.

Thanks for stopping by.

See you Soon

Vickie
  xx

2 comments:

  1. This is really weird as I had not heard of this technique before today; I watched Lisa Curcio demonstrate the Watercolour Block stamping but she called it just 'Block stamping'. It really gives a beautiful hombre look which you put the gold die cut flower on top of; Lisa stamped an image and a sentiment in black memento on top of the block stamping. Both ways are so effective so I will definitely be doing this technique in one of my own designs in the near future. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an awesome technique, you should try it... the effect looks ace in real life!!

      Delete

The Project Share Project - 25th April 2024

  Good Morning Everyone, Happy Thursday and welcome to The Project Share Project.  Every Thursday we will all share an individual blog post ...